Will the REAL Business Casual please stand up?
I was surprised when Business Week Magazine had a feature about the rise and fall of business casual dress. They cited the top three business dress no-no’s as: 1) Visible tattoos, 2) cleavage and 3) “Hooker” earrings (whatever that is). I too have grown weary of cleavage in the front as well as in the back. So after reading the Business Week article I was inspired to make a list of my own about professional REALTOR etiquette and dress in general.
1. One Word – grooming. If you’re not clean, you’re not credible. If you MUST meet a client in exercise clothes or after mowing the yard, ask for permission by saying: “I’m happy to show you that property now, but I’ve just finished working in the yard. Is it okay if I’m still in my work clothes?”
2. Answer the phone! If you don’t, it may mean a missed sale. Most consumers who want to see a property won’t leave a voicemail – they will just keep calling numbers until they get a live body.
3. More skin = less credibility. I sometimes have to remind our agents that we sell houses, not hoochie! Don’t confuse social dress with business dress.
4. Never apologize for your appearance – you dressed yourself!
5. Dress conservatively for acceptance, and as a general rule, one level above your client. Remember, it is usually the female who makes the buying decision – if you alienate her with too much skin – you may not get the listing or the sale!
6. If you want to be respected as a professional, dress like one. You don’t get a second chance to make a good first impression!
7. And lastly, my favorite – just because they make it in your size, it doesn’t mean you should wear it!
Text or Phone: 270-903-2167
Owensboro, Kentucky 42301